CDT Day 107 (MT – Augusta to E. Glacier)

Bobbo Series: Ep. 1 “Exodus”

  • S. Fork Sun Connector: 0.3 miles
  • CDT Miles: 2,743.8-2,758 (14.2)
  • Total Hiked: 1,790.3 miles
  • Elevation Range: 5,030-5,770 feet

Rejuvenated. I’ve used that word before on here to describe feelings following town stops and I think it’s worth going into it a little more.

Today, I overheard and participated in a few different conversations about how hiking into Augusta there was a sense of trail fatigue… tiredness, ready to be done with all of this, that sort of thing. Now, after a full day in town, there was energy and excitement going back on trail. That’s what I’m talking about when I use the word rejuvenated.

Out here, it’s inevitable that the rigors of trail, both physically and mentally, will wear you down at some point. And, it’s important to find what works for getting you pumped up and out there again. Fortunately, that’s not too hard most of the time… simply getting some rest and good sleep, some food variety, a call to a friend or family back home, maybe some social interaction with other hikers bonding over stories of the struggle, or other times maybe it’s the opposite, a retreat/hideaway from social interaction and just a hotel room to yourself.

In the “real” world I’ve found this concept of rejuvenation pretty key too. Learning what gets oneself energized and excited about life… that’s a pretty big thing. But, I also have felt that I can get into cycles where I’m living for those times doing or experiencing whatever that “rejuvenating thing” is. Sort of the working for the weekend idea. Not a super healthy way of going about it.

What I’m discovering out here is that I need the town days for rest and such, and afterwards I’m pumped to get going again. Excited to get to town and excited to leave for what’s ahead. I mean that’s the ideal situation right? So, if I can figure out a career where at times I’ll inevitably need that rest and something to get me rejuvenated, but also one that I’m excited for what’s to come next, well that’d be pretty neat.

Just some thoughts

“Rise up this mornin’
Smile with the risin’ sun
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin’ sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true
Sayin’, ‘This is my message to you-ou-ou

“Singin’, Don’t worry ’bout a thing
‘Cause every little thing gonna be all right!”

(Bob Marley & The Wailers – “Three Little Birds”)

After a sleep in and then a shower, I decided I’d make oatmeal. Took my stove and fuel and food outside the room to a little bench and started heating up water. Enjoyed a nice little breakfast out there. I apologize for the crookedness of the pic…

Next, I got my ridiculously heavy pack together and then started walking into town. Augusta is small and quaint. Here’s our motel, The Wagon Wheel…

Cheer decided she was going to hang in the room longer, check out, and then meet up for our scheduled ride up to the trail. I left thinking I was going to visit the store (which I did), and the Forest Service office for fire and trail information (which I did not do), and then end up at the Lazy-B Restaurant (which I of course did).

I ate with Fix It and Karaoke and enjoyed chatting with these two fellow hikers as well as the few cups of Joe and egg scramble sort of thing I ordered. Around 9:45am, Cruze Control came in and let us know that our driver Frank had arrived and folks were starting to load up. We had already paid, so just got up and followed him out pretty much.

There were 8 hikers going back up to the trailhead this morning (the three of us, Fix It, Karaoke, Cruze Control, V, and Middle). We fit four up front and four in the back. It’s a long drive with some bits of rough road getting back to the trailhead. Took maybe around 45 minutes or so.

It was a lot of fun being around other hikers for a change. Karaoke took off first and likely we won’t see him again since he’s doing 30+ mile days. Middle is currently going south, so he actually was getting brought to a different trailhead, V was sectioning and didn’t feel he’d be doing as many miles so hung back, but the rest of us set out together…

It didn’t take long for Cruze Control to separate and cruise ahead. Fix It stuck with the three of us most of the day though. It was generally pretty nice terrain and good trail. We hiked about 4.5 miles to the West Fork South Fork Sun River (not sure about the name, that’s a lot of forks) and had lunch underneath the bridge there like a troop of trolls…

This next pic is of a dog, not a bear, that was playing in the river…

As we were packing up and getting going again though, those folks on the bank signaled to us and pointed across the river. There was a Black Bear scurrying away! It was pretty awesome and we saw it a few times as we started down the trail, it kept running just up ahead and we’d get glimpses of its butt disappearing. We last saw it across the river and still moving away into some trees.

Right after this event, we had three different horse and mule trains come through. The one group with actual riders (and not simply all their hauled out gear) told us they’d been out a week and woukd be getting back in today.

It seems it was a pretty busy day in the old Bob Marshall Wilderness. We were enjoying the nice trail and nice views along the river though. I believe it was still the West Fork South Fork Sun River…

We hiked til 5pm to a spot we’d marked as a potential camp, but thinking it was still early and with the sky not showing immediate signs of downpour, we kept going.

Our next potential spot seemed to have been taken by a couple and their horses. We actually crosses this little bridge last then to see if any spots on in the other side of the stream, but it wasn’t great. Cheer had seen a spot a bit back, so we backtracked, which worked out wonderfully.

Setting up our tents, it started sprinkling rain some, but didn’t really develop just yet. We were lucky to get in a nice dry dinner together, but weren’t joined by Fix It. We assume he decided to set up camp earlier seeing as we went by some nice spots. I have lots of food, so was happy to start making a dent in my pack weight!

In tents at a decent time. Then, not sure exactly when it started, maybe around 9:30pm-ish, a thunder and lightning spectacle hit our valley. It moved in quick and all of a sudden it was flash after flash. One in particularly lit up the tent and then instantly the gigantic boom followed. Sound reverberated around in an echo-like way. It was pretty intense and left me staring up at the top of my tent, wondering in fear if lightning strikes may have caused burns to start in our area. Thankfully, the storm didn’t linger and I was able to let my mind rest or at least compartmentalize that fear for the moment and fall asleep.

Album of the Day

“Exodus” – Bob Marley & The Wailers (1977)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s